Our insistence on smartness and pride in personal appearance is as much part of school policy as the academic curriculum. As school uniform has to last for some time, please do not buy fashion garments; only plain, simple styles are suitable. Every member of the school is expected to wear school uniform during their time with us, including school visits, unless pupils are advised otherwise.
It is hoped that all pupils will be happy and successful whilst at our school and will wear their uniform with pride. The uniform is much admired by visitors and it is encouraging to note that parents fully support our policy over school clothing.
In the summer term pupils are given the option of wearing summer uniform. A polo shirt can be worn in place of white shirt and tie but a school blazer must be worn over the shirt. Only the official Northgate polo shirt, with the appropriate House colour logo, is permissible.
All school uniform, PE clothing and equipment can be obtained from Birds Clothing online, or at the Warehouse, Unit D, 13 Yaxham Road, Dereham. NR19 1HB.
PE training shoes must not have black soles as these mark the floor of the Sports Hall.
- Hooded tops of the type that are often referred to as ‘hoodies’ are not part of the uniform and should not be worn in school
- Trainers are not to be worn instead of school shoes
- Black trousers with very tight fitting legs, jeans, pin-stripe and cords are not acceptable as an alternative to normal school trousers.
- No skirts above knee length. Short, tight skirts are just not suitable and can result in embarrassing situations when pupils are walking up stairs, moving around in Drama lessons, bending to retrieve articles from bags etc.
- Large or obtrusive belt buckles are not permitted.
- A bag/case for books and a sports bag for PE/Games kit are recommended.
- All pupils’ garments, including PE/Games equipment, should be clearly marked with the pupil’s name.
- A workshop apron is recommended to safeguard basic clothing. This can be leased from the school.
- Food technology aprons can be leased from the school.
- Any style of hair that is neat and of one natural colour is acceptable. Please do not allow your child to come to school with an extreme hairstyle which sets him or her apart from the majority.
- The only jewellery allowed is one pair of small sleepers or stud earrings and a plain signet ring on each hand. Jewellery may have to be removed in some lessons for safety reasons.
- No visible tattoos are permitted.
- No piercings are permitted other than those for a single pair of sleepers/small earrings. For example nose, tongue, lip and eyebrow piercings are not allowed.
- No make-up is allowed in Years 7-9. Girls in Years 10 and 11 may wear discreet make-up. No nail polish is allowed in school.
- Mobile phones, if brought to school, should be handed in to Reception during the day. They are not necessary and can be a distraction.
- Any electrical equipment, MP3 players/PDAs/cameras etc., should not be brought to school.
We would like to thank parents and carers who ensure that their child does come to school in the correct uniform and with the necessary equipment.