How English contributes to the Curriculum
English at Northgate is at the heart of the curriculum and impacts students across all subject areas. We aim to instil a passion for reading and literature from Year 7 through to our 6th Form. Equally, we strive to embed an understanding of how to communicate clearly, accurately and with flair in a variety of spoken and written mediums.
- Creative Writing (Autumn Term)
- A Christmas Carol (Autumn Term)
- Macbeth (Spring Term)
- Poetry from Other Cultures (Summer Term)
- Non-Fiction (Summer Term)
GCSE board and A level board studied
Students are able to continue studying English at A Level.
Below are a number of links to resources available to support independent learning:
Please note: while the school is closed, the majority of work will be set on Show My Homework for pupils to complete.
- SAM Learning
- GCSE Pod
- Literature Revision Information
- Language Revision Information
- Year 10 Early Entry Information Evening PowerPoint 2019
- Year 10 Early Entry Revision Schedule 2019-2020
- No Fear Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet
Year 9 and 10 Resources
- Literature Revision Workbook – Romeo & Juliet
- Teaching Pack – Romeo & Juliet
- Literature Revision Workbook – Sign of Four
- Teaching Pack Part 1 & Part 2 – Sign of Four
- Literature Revision Workbook – An Inspector Calls
- Literature Revision Workbook – Poetry
- Year 10 Literature Practice Questions
- GCSE Texts:
Essay Questions on Romeo and Juliet and The Sign of Four (Year 9):
Quote By Rote PowerPoints:
Year 10 Summer Term 2 Language Texts and Topics
- Week 6 War and Disaster
- Death and Disease 19th Century
- Extract from Mary Seacole’s autobiography 1858
- Extract from The Picture of Dorian Gray 1891
- Extract from The Mysteries of London (penny dreadful) 1845
- War and Disaster 20th & 21st Century
- Extract from Some Desperate Glory: The World War 1 Diary of a British Officer 1981
- Extract from a speech by Winston Churchill 1940
- Extract from a survivor’s account of the sinking of The Titanic
- Week 6 War and Disaster
Year 9 Resources
Introduction to Language Papers:
Year 8 Resources
Year 7 Resources
Poetry from Different Cultures:
- ‘Blessings’: Lessons 1 and 2
- ‘Night of the Scorpion’: Lessons 3 and 4
- ‘Limbo’: Lessons 5 and 6
- ‘Island Man’: Lessons 7 and 8
- ‘Half-Caste: Lessons 9 and 10
- Assessment Preparation
Assessment in English
You can view the current assessment and feedback policy for English here
Personal Development and Cultural Capital in English
The English Department currently run a number of clubs including:
Creative Writing Club
Classic Book Club
Word Games Club
You can find more details about all of our clubs here
Who Teaches English
Head of Department:
Mrs R. Kaufmann Ward, B.A. (Hons), M.A., G.T.P.
Email: bkaufmann-ward followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Mrs Kaufmann Ward studied at University of East Anglia and received a B.A. Hons in English and American Literature and M.A. in American Studies. She qualified and worked as a teacher of English as a foreign language for 5 years before retraining and gaining her QTS and started working in mainstream high schools. Before starting at Northgate in 2011, she taught in schools in Cambridge, Norwich and Nairobi. Mrs Kaufmann Ward is also a Staff Governor and part of the School Oversight Committee.
Teacher i/c KS3 English
Mrs. A. Richardson, B.A. (Hons), P.G.C.E.
Email: arichardson followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Mrs Richardson gained her BA Hons in English and Italian from the University of Birmingham and her P.G.C.E from the University of East Anglia. During her degree, Mrs Richardson spent a year in Italy and still enjoys regular visits there.
Mrs. Z. Galley, B.A. (Hons), P.G.C.E., M.A. Education (Head of School)
Mrs. G. Christie, BA (Hons), P.G.C.E
Email: gchristie followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Mrs Christie gained her BA Hons from the University of East Anglia and her PGCE from the University of Bath. She also managed a tuition centre for several years.
Mrs. M. Graves, B.A. (Hons), P.G.C.E. (Head of Year 7)
Email: mgraves followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Miss T. Lyons, B.A. (Hons), P.G.C.E.
Email: tlyons followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Miss Lyons has a BA Hons English Literature from Lincoln University and a PGCE in English from the UEA. She has previously worked with mental health and learning disabilities in a forensic setting.
Miss K. Sanders B.A. (Hons), P.G.C.E.
Email: ksanders followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Miss Sanders studied Theatre and Performance at the University of Hull and completed her PGCE at the UEA. She has previously worked as a stage manager , managing theatre productions in Norfolk and London.
Mrs. L. Tonkin, B.A. (Hons), P.G.C.E.
Email: ltonkin followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Mrs Tonkin has been teaching English for 23 years and also works as an English GCSE examiner for AQA. She has also recently worked for the education regulatory body OFQUAL, as an English moderator.
Mrs. H. Villarde, B.A. (Hons), P.G.C.E.
Email: hvillarde followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Mrs Villarde is a part-time Teacher of English with a BA (Hons) in English Literature. She has 15 years’ experience in teaching English and has been an examiner for AQA GCSE English Literature.
Mrs. C. Woods, M.A. G.T.P.
Email: cwoods followed by @ng6.unity-ed.uk
Mrs Woods has an MA in Educational Leadership and Management and a BA in English Language and Latin. She has worked across the world, including spending many years as a Scuba Diving Instructor.